Manufacturing compounds with a high loading percentage of fillers and additives often provides processing challenges; particularly when base resins are soft in durometer. Peak Performance Compounding, LLC. has optimized the feeding, blending and extrusion process to provide optimum dispersion and pelletization of these blends for a wide range of market applications.
The following case study outlines how Peak Performance Compounding LLC. has solved a critical manufacturing challenge for our customer and provided substantial cost savings at the same time.
Customer Profile: A leading resin supplier, providing specialty materials to a diverse portfolio of industries; including consumer goods. medical & pharmaceutical, industrial & manufacturing, building & construction, food & beverage, aerospace & automotive, oil & gas and energy.
Material Needs: An ultra-violet (UV) resistant elastomeric compound
– Low viscosity
– Low durometer
– Highly filled
Material Challenges: This particular customer needed support in the manufacturing a highly filled compound. Specific processing & business challenges include:
– Filler dispersion (due to high loading levels)
– Pelletizing (due to low durometer / tack)
– Cost efficiencies (due to low production yields and additional processing steps)
The Peak Solution: Peak has extensive experience in processing these types of elastomeric, low durometer, compounds. Utilizing proper equipment, extrusion processes and down-stream operations we were able to meet customer goals and application requirements.
– Customized under-water pelletizing, specific to low durometer material
– Unique continuous blade sharpening procedure
– Customized feeder technology and screw design
The Outcome: Peak proudly met our customer’s unique material needs and provided them with the following material and business-related benefits:
– Ability to market a high quality, UV elastomeric compound to their customers
– Pellet consistency in size and shape (spherical)
– No strings or tails
– Increase in production yields (less scrap)
– Elimination of both pre- and post-production steps
– Significant cost savings compared to manufacturing in-house or with less-experienced compounder
For more information on this case study or to discuss how Peak Performance Compounding LLC. can assist with your unique material needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org